A Cafeteria Like Hogwarts

Credit to The Ringer

Who else watched the fantastical movies of Harry Potter and couldn’t help but notice how delicious their feasts looked? It was dreadful enough that we couldn’t attend a school of magic, but to taunt us with enticing Yorkshire puddings and goblets of butterbeer is completely unfair. 

In schools outside of Canada, students are privileged with magical foods EVERY SINGLE DAY. Now, why can’t we provide the same experience for the students of KSS? 

The best answer I could sum up to my debating question was,  “How the education system values the health and wellbeing of students.”

Kelsey Rae Dimberg’s article titled, “This is how French school lunches are different from American one’s” explains how the French education system emphasizes the wellbeing of students, one section being the food they serve. Along with a variety of cuisines foreign to us here in Canada, she stated that “French parents usually insist that their children eat like the grown-ups do, considering it a positive for them to be exposed to many flavours and textures at a young age.” I have never heard a parent state such a wild idea that is so true!

Masahiro Oji, the governor director of school health education in Japan, told the Washington Post, “Japan’s standpoint is that school lunches are a part of education.” Around the world, you can find several countries that share the same viewpoint as Japan, and you’ll notice many of those countries are known for producing the best students. 

One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.”

— Luciano Pavarotti

If Canada could achieve this, we could dramatically improve our children’s education.

Students will work more efficiently, pay closer attention to the food they are served and be more mindful of meals and nutrition. For something so basic, the importance of food is ignored so commonly in North America.  

Aspiring chefs can have the opportunity to experience cooking firsthand in the comfort of their schools, students can build relationships and memories through food and decrease their chances of future illnesses. This isn’t all crazy science or research by an Instagram dietician; it’s simply what food has always done; bringing people together and keeping us alive and healthy. 

Food is truly wonderful and I hope that we can celebrate it every day no matter where we are, even in the cafeteria of our own schools.