Students and Songwriting, How Are KSS Kids Keeping Creative?

• Abstinence, instagram: @abstinence_band

• Lucas Wentworth, instagram: @lucaswentworth_

Bright, colourful, flashing strobe lights. The sound of people cheering above the music. The distinctive smell of smoke machines and the smoke illuminated by the unique light display. If there’s one thing I miss about pre-Covid times, it is the experience of  a concert, and as a music student, I know many other teens that feel the same way. Curious about how students are coping without the usual barrage of both performing and viewing experiences, I made it my goal to understand how young musicians are letting out their creativity and desire to perform. The answer? Becoming a part of the main show themselves.

Climbing up the stairs to our high-school music room, I opened the door to one of our practice rooms to sit down with grade eleven student, Lucas Wentworth. Growing up surrounded by music and the experiences of his Family’s music school “Wentworth Music”, Lucas has been heavily involved in our local music community, performing at a variety of places across the Okanagan Valley. Currently songwriting for his own album, Lucas shows that even amidst a pandemic, there is still a way to get your message and music out into the world. A believer that “Music is one of the main things that brings joy to the world”, the songs that Lucas is currently working on are promised to have “an energy to them”, something that I personally, could definitely use right now.

The next stop on my list of school performers to interview, singer Alyx Radion, of the band “Abstinence”, gave me the inside scoop. Alyx’s main message? Individuality, Rebellion, and being unafraid of trying new experiences including “Abstaining from being yourself because you think that other people won’t accept that, and abstaining from living life to the fullest.”  “So in a way, the opposite of what the name “Abstinence” means,.” Alyx joked with me. Being a Punk band, mainly performing their own repertoire of around 22 original songs, Abstinence displays an air of authenticity all with a hardcore feel.

Flora Wilson, a seventeen-year-old here at K.S.S is heavily involved with the music program here at K.S.S, and with performing around the community. Flora mostly plays the piano and sings, but also sometimes plays the ukulele and flute. Playing a mix of both originals and covers, Flora plays around with not only pop, but indie, classical, and jazz music. Flora hopes to have a positive impact on the world and to impact others through music. “My favourite thing about being a musician is the feeling of performing. I was devastated when COVID hit and I couldn’t perform. I love sharing my gift with the world, and I love the feeling when everything else fades away when I’m on the stage; I don’t care if I have a double chin, or if my teeth aren’t perfect. I love performing and I hope to grow my audience enough that I can have my own concerts!”

It was personally inspiring to be able to find out more about some of the many musicians at our school, and see how people are doing with music during COVID. Now more than ever, we are needing creative outlets and music as a form of communication and inspiration, especially among students.