Three Months Later…

Three months ago, I left my life in Brazil and moved to Canada. For 16 years, my reality was immersed in the summer sun, caring smiles and in the uncertain happiness of the Brazilian people. But when the plane took me to the other hemisphere, 11 thousand kilometers separated me from everything I knew. Food, habits, people and language –  the things that turn a simple place into a home, here, in Kelowna, contrasted with my past. However, I was not the first to feel this way, and that was extremely comfortingreconforting.  

Since 1867, Canada has had a high number of immigrants; according to statistics made by the Canadian Government, almost two in five Canadians were born abroad. KSS is a great example, its students with many different ethnic, religions and costumes. And, like the rest of the country, makes anyone who moved to Canada find a little piece here of what they had to leave behind. “KSS is a multicultural school, which I wasn’t used to in my country,” says a grade 10 student from 10th grade. 

The language is the first obstacle you are going to face. Even if you already know how to speak English, some terms and words are still going to be different from what you learn. “People can only know the amount of you that you can express in English,” who said this quote? and nNot being able to express yourself properly is to not be able to be yourself completely, ; and it is also an obstacle to your social life. 

Despite the insecurity with the language and the feeling of missing your country, as an international student myself, I can say that you will find great friends, and in my experience, the kindest nicest people are going to be international students that understand know what you are going through.