Community at KSS: The Halloween Food Drive

As the cold and other harsh conditions highlighted over the winter are introduced with the changing seasons, students at KSS are committed to supporting their community through these difficult times. With COVID-19 in general, and an increasing need for nutritional donations, food insecurity is hitting the Central Okanagan with full force. 

In an effort to reduce the prevalence of this current issue, Kelowna Secondary School is holding a Halloween Food Drive. Organized by a select group of students who partnered with Environmental Science and Leadership, the food drive will run from October 18th to 29th. Beyond school affiliations, the food drive has also partnered with the BC Impact Tomorrow Foundation and locally operated Food For Thought organization, and all donations will be put towards the Weekend Backpack Program Fundraiser. The program ensures that students don’t go home for the weekend expecting to have an empty stomach. 

According to Food For Thought, research is already showing that kids are falling behind academically and are experiencing health challenges due to the pandemic. Food For Thought allows the most vulnerable students to take food home in a backpack with easy to follow recipe cards. The Impact Tomorrow Foundation has connections to the Child Advocacy Center of Kelowna and KGH Foundation, ensuring that any impact made at the school and because of the food drive is felt throughout the community. Rest assured that your involvement truly does make a difference. 

All food donations must be non-perishable, prepackaged, non-damaged, and nothing handmade. The most needed donations include sugar free peanut butter, cereal, cereal bars, granola bars, jam, honey, pancake mix, syrup, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, pasta sauce, and sugar free fruit cups. Canned items containing peas, chickpeas, diced tomatoes, yellow, green, and black beans, tuna, salmon, chicken, and varieties of soups are also essential. 

Boxes will be placed in classrooms and in the MPR where donations can be left. The food drive will last two weeks, and starting in the second week on October 25th a raffle basket aspect will be added. Prizes will include gift cards, theme bundles, and a variety of surprise items. When the baskets will be available for view, and more information about entering to win the raffle baskets will come closer to their debut. But you can expect to enter by monetary donation online. You can also donate directly to the site yourself by clicking here

Ollie Fodell, the head student of the Halloween Food Drive, on behalf of all the partners urges people to contribute however they can, whether it be with nutritional or financial donations. “It’s the least we can do to lift others up when they are struggling,” Ollie testifies. If all else, check out the @kss_2022 Instagram account to repost and hopefully influence others to contribute. Let’s have fun this Halloween, and let’s do it with a strong community.