Tea vs. coffee


Alex Abernethy, Staff Writer

Mornings are rough. The previous day tends to be filled with a lot of hard work, too much overwhelming human interaction and very little sleep. Rather than being certain to give ourselves an adequate night’s sleep, the majority of us tend to resort to drowning our organs in caffeine to fuel up for the day ahead. There is a wide variety of options as to which one could chose to consume in order to get the energy they need. The two go-tos are either tea or coffee. Some may make their decision based on preference although others decide which of the two they indulge in based on each of the two’s health benefits. Well first of all, which of the two is the most popular in Canada? According to statistics from Euromonitor International, 57% of Canadians prefer coffee over tea whereas the remaining 43% of Canadians prefer tea over coffee. Does this mean that tea is healthier than coffee?

Coffee is currently dominating the hot drink market as it is proven to increase one’s life expectancy and improve one’s memory.  “Research suggests that coffee consumption may help prevent chronic diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, and liver disease,” says Nicole Hahn, R.D.N., a clinical dietitian at Banner – University Medical Center Phoenix. Coffee is also a potent source of antioxidants, even more so than cocoa and green tea. Although tea may not be the ultimate go-to, it too has many benefits that have the ability to improve one’s overall wellbeing. Teas’ benefits include the strengthening of one’s bones and immune system along with the lowering one’s cancer risk.  At the end of the day, both of these well-known drinks contain caffeine providing energy to aid in conquering everyday struggles so not one is considered to be better than the other. You can either simply rotate between both delicious drinks or if choosing one, the decision can be made based on taste preference as well as how each will be beneficial to suit your personal needs.