The Rise and Fall of Drug Lords

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Rise and Fall of Drug Lords

Kerighan Mooney, Staff

“Everyone has a price, the important thing is to find out what it is” – Pablo Escobar

Since the early 1980s, the Medellin Cartel and the Sinaloa Cartel grew to power throughout the years. Both hierarchy kingpins El Chapo and Pablo Escobar both succeeded in controlling the government and the people of their countries. Striking terror into the lives of others and killing off whoever disobeys orders.

Prone to illegal activities at a young age, the two drug cartel leaders started their lives of drug activity and riches. Starting with cocaine to then growing an empire with ecstasy, heroine, etc. Having connections with worldwide organizations, there was no doubt that shipments of drugs were exported all over the world.The comparison of both beginnings of each cartel weren’t far apart as some may think, Escobar starting his growth in the early 1980s where is El Chapo’s reign begins in 1989. Nines years apart from each other, both El Chapo and Escobar slowly began to inflict fear into those of the innocent and to the rest of the world watching the growth of an empire.

Coming from a farmer and a school teacher, Pablo Escobar made his debut smuggling equipment which lead to other various tiny crimes throughout his upbringing. Soon becoming one of world’s best and trusted suppliers, Escobar also slowly becomes one of the world’s notorious drug lords. Cashing in over millions and millions of dollars from just supplying drugs. El Chapo grew to be Mexico’s feared kingpin and with no doubt got in trouble with the law many times. The world followed in the notorious escape of the tunnel underneath the prison, which was the last time El Chapo would be escaping before being charged guilty on all accounts when brought back to the USA.

In comparison both drug lords have had similar upbringings to run their own equally competitive cartels. Unfortunately, for both kingpins the end of the road ends here, running from the police never got anyone anywhere. Pablo Escobar meet his end by shootout with law enforcement in 1993, as for El Chapo he will spend the rest of his life behind bars watching his empire fall.

From illegal activities at a young age to supplying half of the world’s drugs to then slowly rotting away. Both notorious drug lords’ empires have crumbled.

Kerighan Mooney, Staff Writer

Kerighan Mooney is a Kelowna Secondary School student in her grade 12 year. She was born and raised in New Zealand until moving to Kelowna in 2007. Kerighan’s...