Uncharacteristically Me

Back to Article
Back to Article

Uncharacteristically Me

Alex Abernethy, Opinion Writer

“Why did your grades drop so drastically? These marks are very uncharacteristic of you, what in the world happened?” presumed my teacher during my senior year as he handed over my first semester report card. Whoa, that was uncalled for, I thought to myself as I grabbed my report card giving my teacher no response. I was in shock as I turned around and walked out the door feeling hurt and misunderstood.

Yes, I have previously received straight A’s and have been on the Principal’s Select Honour Roll and the Work Ethic List of Distinction throughout my entire school career therefore I do agree with the fact that the few low B’s I have received this year were out of the ordinary. That which triggered me was the fact that he didn’t ask why.

To him, my poor grades probably seemed to reflect my laziness and my lack of effort. If that’s the case, he is incredibly wrong. The truth is that this past year has been difficult for me. I have struggled with my mental well-being which has held me back from being able to fully apply myself to my schoolwork. Instead of going home to spend four hours a night studying in order to ensure my success on an upcoming test, I would waste my time sleeping or merely staring at blank wall asking myself, “What is wrong with me?”  I am aware that only I can improve myself and I have been working on regaining my mental stability, slowly but surely.

In regards to my teacher who made an unnecessary remark on my grades, I am not asking for your sympathy. I am simply saying that if you plan to impact your students in such a way, you should at least ask them what has been holding them back or if there is anything that you can do to help and guide them in regaining their desire to succeed. I have never been a teacher so I don’t have the first clue as to what it all entails but I do know that “You can’t judge a book by its cover”.