To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before: a rom-com well done

Back to Article
Back to Article

Maddie Liao, A&E writer

Recently, Netflix put out a handful of original teen romance movies, and there’s certainly a selection to choose from. One that really stands out is To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, a movie that was released on August 17th.

Based on Jenny Han’s 2014 novel, it stars Lana Condor as Lara Jean, the hopeless romantic main character who–plot twist–is actually afraid of being in a relationship, and Noah Centineo as Peter, the typical charming jock. It also includes appearances by Anna Cathcart and Pretty Little Liars alum Janel Parrish.

This cast did an amazing job with their roles, and really brought this feel-good story to life. Honestly, the cast itself is something to rave about, since it’s still so rare to see an Asian-American lead without forced stereotypes.

The movie starts out with a typical plot, the whole “good, nerdy girl meets popular guy” ordeal. What’s interesting about it is that the main idea of the two characters is that they actually begin their relationship by fake dating. They first start their pretend relationship with the goal of making Peter’s ex-girlfriend jealous, but as time goes on, it becomes something more real.

Although the whole idea may seem pretty basic, it is portrayed in an adorable way. The film takes small details and sprinkles them in the perfect moments. Things like Peter’s love for the ”Korean yogurt smoothie” also known as Yakult, Lara Jean’s horrible driving skills, and of course, the love letters that started it all, become a recurring part of the story.

Feeling confused? Go watch the film and really pay attention, it’s the details that makes it not just another fake dating story.

Along with the cute storyline, To All The Boys brought the vibrancy of 90’s fashion back to life in a 2018 environment. The style of the costumes, simple makeup and hair really make the actors look stunning. Lara Jean’s room is a great example of the amazing set design this film holds, with the books, accessories, and the perfect amount of clutter.

The entire vibe of the film is another admirable and captivating quality that makes it so good. The cinematography incorporates a wonderful use of colouring with just the right amount of saturation and brightness. To All The Boys has left young audiences swooning and wanting a love story as enchanting as Peter and Lara Jean’s. Undoubtedly, it is a great addition to the community of romantic comedies, and also the realm of teenage culture. Although a large population of the public enjoy bashing on love stories, it is for sure a guilty pleasure whether they admit it or not.T

Maddie Liao, Staff Writer

Hi there! I’m Maddie, a grade eleven writer for the news site you’re currently on. I’m originally from Taiwan, and I moved here with my parents in...

6 Comments

6 Responses to “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before: a rom-com well done”

1. Katie on January 7th, 2019 11:04 am

Great article! Love how the movie isn’t one of those cheesy “teen movies” that are so bland.

2. Deja Mackie on January 7th, 2019 11:06 am

I really love the use of descriptive language in this article. Especially when you mentioned where some of the actors were known from before “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before”

3. Emma Luciw on January 7th, 2019 11:12 am

I totally agree! I think the movie is super cute and the details are so important! I really liked that you touched on every aspect of the movie and it was a great read. I would definitely stop to read this if it was in a big name news source!

4. Jade on January 7th, 2019 11:25 am

I like the point about the cinematography. I also thought the colours were very nice and the vibe was great. It totally stood out from the others!

5. Chloe on January 7th, 2019 7:48 pm

You did a great job writing this! Your thoughts are very organized and you payed great attention to a lot of interesting deatils I didn’t even notice before you mentined them. Well done!

6. rae kennedy on January 29th, 2019 2:35 pm

I love how this article talks about so many different aspects of the film, like cinematography, plot, and casting. The details in the film, such as the Korean yogurt smoothie and Laura Jean’s non existent driving skills, were also such a cute part of the movie and I love how this article pointed it out.

*

• To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before:  a rom-com well done

Forced into a new life: immigration in Germany

We Stand With Wet’suwet’en

Bees and the Human Race: how important are bees?     

Infires Man! (fandom joke, you wouldn’t get it)

Those Crazy Owls

Journal of A Recovered Teenage Addict

Opinion

Simply put: dogs are better than cats

Opinion

Why is Switzerland the greatest country in the world?

Current Issues

Super Bowl LIII Halftime Show