Why Is Nicotine So Addictive?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Why Is Nicotine So Addictive?

Creative commons

Creative commons

Creative commons

Gigi Roberts, Healthy Living writer

Growing up with a mother who was highly addicted to nicotine, I could never understand why she couldn’t quit. Smoke after smoke. She lit one in the car, parking lot, outside of the airport or outside the restaurant. She just couldn’t quit. As a kid it drove me nuts. I used to hide her packs of cigarettes from her but all that did was make her mad and crave her addiction for nicotine even more.

It wasn’t until I, myself tried nicotine. I finally understood why my mom couldn’t stop and why she had given up on quitting. Yes, I’m only 17 but I made the choice to try vaping because it seemed to be what every teen at my school seemed to be doing. Might not be a good reason for me to start but I was definitely influenced by my peers. But I’ve been vaping for over a year now and to be honest I hate it. I think it’s a loser lifestyle, so then why can’t I stop blowing those big clouds of vape? Well, because I’m addicted to nicotine, just like my mom.

Why is nicotine so addictive and why is it so hard to quit? Only 4-7 % of people who attempt to quit smoking are able to do it cold turkey. Now the reason for this is because nicotine crosses the blood-brain barrier within 10 seconds after it is inhaled. When nicotine reaches the brain, it triggers dopamine to be released. Smokers feel pleasure and calm, and their withdrawal symptoms lessen. Unfortunately, after dopamine depletes, these symptoms return and with it, the urge to smoke. When trying to quit, unpleasant withdrawal symptoms such as irritability, depression, anxiety and difficulty concentrating often leads smokers back to cigarettes.

The bottom line is: don’t use  nicotine. It’s not worth it and it’s a bad habit. Once you start you won’t be able to stop. It’s highly addicting, has many health risks including cancer and heart problems. All though the chance of you actually getting cancer and heart problems just from nicotine is rare. Nicotine itself might not be as harmful to your body as cigarettes as it contains much more chemicals, but if you start with vaping it can lead to cigarettes and I personally hate cigarettes, I think they’re gross. But that is a risk of getting addicted to nicotine.

Gigi Roberts, Staff Writer

Gigi Roberts was born in Dubai and spent most of her childhood there. She moved back to Kelowna after she was born and only stayed for 3 years and then...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Why Is Nicotine So Addictive?”

1. Gabrielle on January 7th, 2019 10:58 am

This article well demonstrates the power nicotine can really have on your brain, body and lifestyle. I liked the way you started out with a personal experience as a child to begin with.

2. Ellis Drobot on January 7th, 2019 11:05 am

I really liked how you connected your own personal experiences to your research. It brings your writing to life on a personal level.

3. Nyah on January 7th, 2019 11:27 am

I totally agree that it is one of the most addictive bad habits created. I can personally relate to having someone in my life let the addiction get the best of them and it just makes me more aware. Well said:)

*

• Why Is Nicotine So Addictive?

Move to Improve in 9 Easy Steps

• Why Is Nicotine So Addictive?

Photo Essay: Beaches are PUBLIC

• Why Is Nicotine So Addictive?

Journal of A Recovered Teenage Addict

• Why Is Nicotine So Addictive?

The Precarious Art of Free Soloing

• Why Is Nicotine So Addictive?

Taking a Bite of the Big Apple

• Why Is Nicotine So Addictive?

Current Issues

Why We Need LGBT+ Representation in Children’s Media

• Why Is Nicotine So Addictive?

Student Life

5 ways to cope with stress in senior year

• Why Is Nicotine So Addictive?

News

Why you should spend more time outdoors

• Why Is Nicotine So Addictive?

Wanna Hear Something Weird?

Don’t underestimate the effects of a broken heart

• Why Is Nicotine So Addictive?

A&E

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before: a rom-com well done

Why Is Nicotine So Addictive?