A Family Affair: KSS Cross-Country Running

Back to Article
Back to Article

Eric Worman, Sports Writer

With some many clubs and teams it is hard to find the right one for you.  Whether you are someone who has never thought about running before or a returning long distance runner, the KSS cross country running team is the team for you.  

This isn’t your regular sporting team, with ridiculously high entry fees and rookie hazings; rather, it’s the most welcoming team you could ever be on. The senior, juniors, boys and girls team are all one creating a true team.  The running team trains together, just like any real team should.  By the end of the year they are more than a team, they are a family.  Girls and guys train together pushing each others limits along the way.  The mix of grades gives the more senior runner the opportunity to mentor the newer members and welcome them to the team.  

This team has international students laughing with the local members and all of them having fun. Each week they practice on Monday and Thursday, pushing their limits and racing for some apple pie.  The Wednesday races aren’t the main reason there is a team: it is to create lifelong runners and show how enjoyable the sport can be.

The races are in a variety of locations from Mission Green Way to Kettle Valley.  Some are easy, some are hard, but they are all memorable. Epic races leave an imprint on the runner and teach them that life is just a hill and we got to get over it.

Mr. Carlson is more than the teacher sponsor and race organizer.  His love for the sport rubs off on everyone he meets and coaches. Warm ups are always entertaining with him and put a smile on every strangers face. The enthusiasm he brings to the team makes us push harder and run a bit faster. Everyday when you see him in the hallway he lights up and turns anyone bad day into a great one.  

KSS cross country running really isn’t about the racing.  It’s about the amazing people you meet along the way and how hard you push yourself.  It’s pretty easy to push yourself when you have such a great team behind you.

Feel free to ask us for more information about the team as we would love to have you out running.  We hope to see you on the trails soon!