The problem with career life education

Juliette Patton, Opinion

According to limited poll, 55% of the teens had no idea what they are going to do once they graduate from KSS. In order to get an enjoyable job one must know what they enjoy doing, for instance if you were fond of science and you go to university to get a degree in science you still might not know what kind of science you enjoy, you may not even know what kind of jobs you’d want to pursue for the rest of your life, and sooner or later you’re stuck at a low paying job wondering what could have made you happier.

Schools have realized what a problem this is and are trying to make classes more open and varied, but they stopped there. The different classes only show what kind of subject it is and not what kind of jobs could follow or what you would do in those jobs. Instead of a mandatory useless careers class that only wastes your time, there should be an open credit block to explore your interests, or, if career class is absolutely mandatory have it teach every type of job there is with brief descriptions for anyone who is interested in it.

The school should also have field trips where teens get to go see how the jobs are and what their environments are. Since the school doesn’t have these types of career classes, students are stuck trying to figure out what to do on their own. Most teens are busy with school work and outside activities that they don’t get any time to browse their interests so once they graduate they have to make a risky snap decision. There shouldn’t be anything stopping someone from having their dream job, even if they might not know what their dream job may be yet.

Many students also agree that it is too early in someone’s life to decide a career path, “How do they expect us to know what we want to do for the rest of our lives?” said Megan, one of the students interviewed. She has a very valid point:  right when teenagers turn into young adults they are expected to either go out into the real world, get a job and a house or pick a career path and go through with it for university and the rest of their lives and be expected to become rich and happy. “It is too early for us to decide” says a fellow teenager going through a career-choosing dilemma.

We need real experiences, not hypothetical ones, that lead us in the direction of something meaningful.