The Impact of Teachers

background image of out of focus christmas trealight candles with space of text

stephen gibson photohome.co.uk

stephen gibson photohome.co.uk

Sam Deleurme

Prior to entering KSS, middle school students are constantly warned that high school teachers will not be as attentive, or will care much less about what you do and how well you do. However, the teachers that I have had the pleasure of being taught by, made me rethink my previous misconceptions about what high school teachers would be like.

Although I don’t doubt that there are some educators who do not try and connect with students or do not show much care for their students’ success, but that is an unfair accusation for all teachers to try and paint them as villains. As from my experience with some teachers, and even stories I’ve heard from others, lots of teachers have left an impact on their students with their care, understanding and personality.

One of the first teachers that made a notable impact on my education was Mrs. Kulak; one of the many science teachers at the school. She was my Science 10 Honours and Biology 11 Honours teacher; throughout those two years I learned so much, not just in science, but things to remember for life lessons.

In terms of my academic career, one thing Kulak always said was “to figure out how you learn.” Seems simple enough, but it wasn’t until it was drilled in my head or when I would get a bad mark on a test that I took the advice into any consideration. She would also give several resources for any assignment, something a lot of teachers do not do, she was allowing us to figure out how we learn and giving us the tools to do so.

Mrs. Kulak is a teacher who is very personable and got to know her students, especially if you came in for more help (which I did, a lot) and if you were a second-year student; the relationship gained from Kulak allowed me to feel more comfortable in the class when I had no friends, and she was always willing to help and would never make you feel less for doing so.

She wasn’t the only teacher that had changed the way I not only viewed school, but the way I experienced it.

Probably the best social studies teachers I have ever had the experience of being taught by, Mr. Stewart, who managed to get me interested into something that I thought I despised. This change didn’t come from the material, but from the teacher and the way that Mr. Stewart taught his lessons.

Almost every social studies class that I have had it felt more like a textbook was the teacher, strictly reading out of a textbook is a way that very few people learn, therefore practically no information is absorbed. However, Mr. Stewart is a teacher that I had for Social Studies 11 and now Comparative Cultures; never have I felt like I’ve gained so much knowledge from a history class.

He teaches you to take responsibility for yourself and your learning; not giving you all the answers, but pushing you to actively complete your work to be successful. Although, he will explain topics thoroughly and work to get everyone to understand the subject matter.

Mr. Stewart has every lesson and unit planned out before hand, knowing exactly what we are doing on any given day. Quite possibly the most organized teacher I’ve every met, this makes it very nice for when somebody misses a day or goes away because he has it all pre-planned.

Once again, a personable teacher who is very easy to get along with and feel comfortable asking questions to and is willing to help when you need it.

Mr. Stewart is the teacher I owe it to for getting me so interested in and passionate about studying history, one of the key components in changing what I planned to with my life, as I now hope to continue in history and go into teaching the subject.

Following up, the next teacher wasn’t an official teacher of KSS until this year, only a student teacher for my English 11 class, Mr. Magliocchi.

Mr. Magliocchi was easily the most interesting student teachers I know, with such great energy and an upbeat personality it was hard to not enjoy the class. Somehow, he managed to keep the attention of approximately 25 students for a full class, and never once was there a boring moment.

I remember that I always had very bad anxiety in past English classes, but Magliocchi always kept classes light that I never felt uncomfortable, even when doing presentations where I get particularly nervous. Typically, I was the student that always had answers to questions but was too afraid of talking out to say anything; the energy that Magliocchi gave off gave me the opportunity and confidence to express my thoughts more freely, and this has even carried over into my other classes.

Mr. Magliocchi was one of the most interesting teachers I have had the privilege of encountering, he made being in class fun, while still getting the information through to us and involving critical thinking.

He is a teacher that I am very grateful for having as it was the start of me breaking out of my shell in classrooms and being able to share my thoughts without as much anxiety, I hope to be able to transfer his energy and techniques when I hopefully become a teacher myself.

These teachers have made profound impact on my life in more way than one. My experience at KSS hasn’t necessarily been the best, but these teachers made it better, as well as setting me up for success in the future. Despite what people said about what teachers would be like in high school, I couldn’t be more grateful for the ones I was given. So many of the teachers at KSS are truly personable and they get to know you and you them; it takes only one caring and supportive adult to transform a child’s life and make them a success, the teachers mentioned above brought back my passion for school.