“Boy Band” Redefined

Back to Article
Back to Article

“Boy Band” Redefined

Walt Mudie, A & E Writer

The term “boy band” has always been negatively used. The vast majority of people accept that. But, in the 2017 hip hop music scene, a new group bursted out looking to make people question that.

With a 14-member roster packed with talent, BROCKHAMPTON has all the tools required to revolutionize how people view boy bands. Only one member, Kevin Abstract, has a notable solo career to boast, but that doesn’t seem to cross the minds of the other members. Ameer Vann, Dom McLennon, Merlyn Wood, Matt Champion, JOBA, bearface, and Kevin Abstract all provide vocals throughout their SATURATION trilogy of albums. SATURATION I, II, and III were all released in the span of just over six months. Both SATURATION II and III charted on the US Billboard 200 (15th and 57th, respectively).

Before 2017, BROCKHAMPTON had released one project, titled “All-American Trash”. Released on March 24th, 2016, the mixtape got them off on the right foot for their bigger plans. Romil Hemmani, a producer in the band, said on July 6th, 2016 in an interview with Pigeons & Planes, “This is the first time we actually felt like a boy band. It feels way more collaborative.”

The members of the band have always been quick to confirm their boy band status. A great example of this is their interview with MTV, released on November 2nd, 2017. Gaby Wilson, an MTV reporter, says, “So, you guys are a self-proclaimed boy band”, to which all 10 members being interviewed object to almost instantaneously. “No, no, no, we are a boy band,” was how Abstract countered. Wilson asks, “What drew you guys to calling yourself a boy band?”, and Hemmani confidently responds, “Because we’re a bunch of boys and we’re in a band.” In their minds, it’s as simple as that.

BROCKHAMPTON has a take on boy bands that has never been seen before. They clearly don’t care what the world thinks of them. To so many people, the negative connotations around the term “boy band” would scare them off. BROCKHAMPTON, however sees that as an opportunity.

Redefining the term is such a small fraction of what BROCKHAMPTON is capable of. By changing the term, it proves how any existing norms are in jeopardy when looked at by the band.

Next for BROCKHAMPTON is their fourth album, Team Effort. On December 14th, the day before SATURATION III’s release, they announced the project. It is set to come out sometime this year.

1 Comment

One Response to ““Boy Band” Redefined”

1. morgan begg on February 22nd, 2018 4:03 pm

pretty okay

*

• “Boy Band” Redefined

Taking a Bite of the Big Apple

• “Boy Band” Redefined

KSS Proud to Remember – November 9, 2018

• “Boy Band” Redefined

Remembering Remembrance Day

• “Boy Band” Redefined

We’re Not Making Things Out of Macaroni

• “Boy Band” Redefined

Photo Gallery From KSS Fine Arts New York Trip (October 9 – 12)

• “Boy Band” Redefined

Exchange students say “Oui” to Canada

• “Boy Band” Redefined

Everything is Illogical

• “Boy Band” Redefined

Cinema Owls

Night Owl Theatre: What to expect

• “Boy Band” Redefined

Mural Crosses Cultures

• “Boy Band” Redefined

Getting Out

Five Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Go On An Exchange

“Boy Band” Redefined