Caged in

Mental health symbol Puzzle and head brain concept as a human face profile made from crumpled white paper with a jigsaw piece cut out on a rustic old double page spread horizontal wood background.

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Charlotte Hardy, Opinion

A teacher’s job is to present the facts and let students decide for themselves what they believe. They are not meant to only voice their own opinions and tell only one side of the story. At least not to the point of tainting their students view on the subject.

The big picture is what the world wants to be seen. Everyone wants the children of society to have a clear understanding of what’s going on around them. Having one side of many topics being left out in schools, many students do not see the big picture. They see what was taught to them. To create a full understanding of a topic, students need to know all sides of the story. By leaving key points out, they are not able to form their own opinions about the subject matter. By not being able to do so, many students end up not liking the course or the teacher. Therefore not enjoying school and not having the will to learn.

Going to one of my classes is hard for me. Not because I do not like the actual course or because it is boring, but because of the bias. My teacher loves to voice her own opinion on some important matters in our world. That strong voice of hers seeps its way into her teaching, taunting the subject matter at hand. Giving us boundaries in which my class has to learn, when there is so much over the hill on the other side. The feeling of being caged settles in when I enter that classroom.

Biased teaching is more widespread than most people think. Bias is integrated into a lot of teacher’s courses so well that it is hard to point out. Even some teachers do not realize that there is bias in their teaching. They teach what they believe to be facts, those facts seem to only appease one side of the argument though. When creating a syllabus why not play to your strengths? Teach what you are passionate about, what you have the best understanding of. That is what makes many classes biased. Teachers teach what they know most about, their opinions. Leaving little to no time, to teach the other side.
Biased teaching is so integrated into our world that it is almost impossible to erase, but with some hard work I’m sure we could fix that. Break the cage and set the minds of student free.