The riddle of the Bermuda Triangle

Greta Ahlmeyer, Wanna Hear Something Weird?

The Bermuda Triangle is a sea region in the North Atlantic ocean that goes from the top of Florida to Puerto Rico and then to the Islands of Bermuda. Also called “Devil’s Triangle”, it is known for mysterious ship and plane accidents that happened there. Sailors and pilots talk about white water suddenly appearing, giant waves, and unexplainable vortexes.
But is this triangle really such a big mystery or is there a logical scientific explanation for everything?

The most well-known accident is probably “the Fate of Flight 19”. On December 5 1945, five US-American torpedo bombers carrying 14 men started a routine navigation and combat training flight from Florida. After two hours in the air, the pilots realized that they had lost their course because they could not see any mainland anymore. That is why they sent a radio message to the control tower who told them to fly to the west. But suddenly the pilot’s compasses did not work anymore and was referring to another radio message, also the sea should have looked differently. Then the connection broke completely. The control tower knew that the torpedo bombers would run out of fuel soon, so they sent a search aircraft in the area where the missing bombers were assumed. But neither of the torpedo bombers or the search aircraft ever returned.

Many scientists looked into this case to find a logical explanation. One possible reason could be that the pilots lost their course because the wind was stronger than expected that day, so the torpedo bomber’s speed was different than the calculated speed. The leading pilot, Lieutenant Charles Taylor, said in one radio message that he was flying over the islands of Florida Keys. But following the control tower’s calculation, this could not be possible. That is why scientists suppose that the torpedo bombers flew over a similar looking group of islands, but because they thought they were somewhere else, they messaged that their compasses were wrong, although they might have actually shown the right direction. Through this misapprehension, they could have gotten lost and then fallen into the sea because they ran out of fuel.
Anyway, Flight 19 was not the only mysterious accident which happened in the Bermuda triangle. In 1938 for example, a big freighter got lost, even though the captain had radio messaged shortly before his expected arrival, that everything was okay. Something similar happened in 1958, when a sailing boat suddenly disappeared, although it had announced its soon arrival.
As we can see, there are mysterious things going on in the Bermuda triangle, but are there really more accidents than in other sea regions nearby? No, the number of accidents is not higher than in other sea regions. The media only attaches more importance to accidents happening in the Bermuda triangle than to things happening anywhere else. In addition there are big amounts of methane gas in the Bermuda triangle. Through little seaquakes or a minimal movement of tectonic plates, giant bubbles of methane can develop and then rise to the water surface.

Scientists suppose that they would be able to pull even big ships under water. Also planes could explode because of the rising gas which ignites the motors. And the friction that develops when methane bubbles rise in water causes magnetic fields that could explain deficiencies of electronic devices.
To conclude, you can say that there are logical scientific explanations for all accidents happening in the Bermuda triangle. But the myths around hexes and dark forces will probably stay in the people’s minds anyway and fascinate them.

Sources: paranormalzonex.com helleskoepfchen.de wikipedia.com skeptoid.com prezi.com leo.org