KSS Student had huge potential as a lacrosse player

Admin

As many of you are aware, Joshua Dubrett, 2017 graduate of KSS, passed away on November 2nd in a vehicular accident.  Family has informed us today that the service will be held on Monday, November 6th at the Winfield Hall (10130 Bottom Wood Lake Road) at 10:30 a.m. Joshua, a proud Okanagan young man, was known as an elite lacrosse player, a leader and role model among his peers. If you knew Joshua well and wish to attend his service, please contact your school Principal. Our thoughts and condolences are extended to Joshua’s family at this time.

Here is a recent article about Joshua that appeared in Senk’Lip News in April, 2017:

Joshua Dubrett – Allstar Lacross Player

“Joshua Dubrett started playing la- crosse for the local Kelowna Kodiaks minor league when he was four years old. He is an OKIB member living in Duck Lake I.R. #7 and graduating high school this year. Joshua would like to give a special thanks to his Grandma Edna Terbasket, Aunty Sheridan Terbasket, Uncle Stacey Wil- son, Wayne Jack and Coaches Clint Alexander and Alex Blanchard. Here is his story in his own words:

I played with the Kodiaks through tyke-midget for box lacrosse. I started my first season of field lacrosse for the Kodiaks in 2011. Each year that I played I was fortunate enough to be on the provincial travel team; in 2013 I took my first trip with the Burnaby Mountain Selects to Chicago, Illinois. 2014 was a big year for me! At BC Provincials we won silver, and I was a two-time MVP. At the BC Summer Games in Nanaimo, we earned bronze. I started playing for the Okanagan Sun Devils, a travel select team, and we went to Sandpoint, Idaho. At the same time I was invited to BC’S Best Showcase Tournament in Victoria with over 40 Division One college scouts! While that was also my first year in midget lacrosse, I was also playing box lacrosse for the Kelowna Jr. Raiders!

In my last year of minor box lacrosse I was playing Kodiaks, Raiders and Team British Columbia. With Team BC we earned a bronze at the Midget Nationals and I ended up with 17 points in 8 games! I received my first couple offers from universi- ties and colleges after Nationals.

I was invited to try out for the Port Coquitlam Saints in the intermediate league; I didn’t know too many people as majority of the players were all from the Lower Mainland. It was a faster paced game and I knew I had to step up to prove that I was able to compete to their level, so in the first game of the season I made the first goal for the Saints!

This past field lacrosse season I had a very successful season with the U18 Penticton Heat Lacrosse Association. I ended up with the leading scorer, as- sists and points during my last season of minor field lacrosse! After I was invited to play for the U18 Okana- gan Selects where we travelled to San Francisco and placed first in our pool! I have also have made the U18 Na- tional Aboriginal team travelling to Toronto, Ontario later this August. Now I have signed with the Okana- gan Wild for the 2017 Intermediate lacrosse season.”