Somewhere over the rainbow

Charlotte Hardy, Showcase Writer

Have you ever had something you wanted to do so badly you would go to extreme measures to ensure it will happen? Well one beloved teacher who worked at Kelowna Secondary School did. She made sure it was known even after she was gone.

Anne-Marie Holmwood, the much loved theatre teacher at KSS (2011 – 2015) had a thing about rainbows. “She saw the world through a kaleidoscope of colours; my mom was a rainbow that encouraged diversity and radiated passion.” Says Willa Holmwood, Anne Marie’s daughter. “Now she has left the sky empty for us to paint our own rainbow and share our strengths with the world.”

In memory of her, the theatre students who knew her decided that we would paint the stairs in the theatre rainbow for her.

At the memorial celebration of her life , it was stated by a close friend that Anne-Marie didn’t have many regrets in life, but one of them was not painting those stairs rainbow.

It took us awhile to carry out her wishes, but eventually we did. Creating the beautifully vibrant stairs we have come to love and cherish. Holding onto the memories of the teacher who has touched so many lives, bringing life to the school.

“The arts have always been a place where diverse groups of people can collaborate to create meaningful works that reflect their unique experiences.” said Mrs Elliott, the current KSS Theatre teacher.“Knowing Ms. Holmwood and her great passion for the arts, particularly the performing arts, I can think of no better memorial to honour her memory, than what the students did last year. The stairs keep Anne-Marie always in the theatre. It feels so good to celebrate her this way.” The theatre students just radiate pride for Ms. Holmwood and all her successors.

To many, students and teachers alike, Anne-Marie was like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. She shone brightly in the lives of those she touched, bringing the ‘gold’ out in everyone. Ms. Holmwood will be dearly missed, but we know that she is watching and keeping an eye on us all from above, applauding our work carrying out her lifelong work and dreams.

1 Comment

One Response to “Somewhere over the rainbow”

1. Lou Holmwood, on September 30th, 2017 4:40 pm

What a wonderfully thoughtful article you have written Charlotte. Your writing has touched my heart and I thank you for that.

It brought tears to my eyes knowing that you and the other theatre students have created this simple, but oh so effective, rainbow memorial to Ms. Holmwood. I’m sure that Anne-Marie was never alone at the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, as I suspect that she had all of her students with her.

Anne-Marie’s Mom, Lou Holmwood

[Reply]

*

• Somewhere over the rainbow

It’s never the wrong time to do the right thing

• Somewhere over the rainbow

Redemption for the Returning KSS JV team

• Somewhere over the rainbow

Previous Experience Required: Cultural Appropriation

• Somewhere over the rainbow

Feminism not a “mini” issue

• Somewhere over the rainbow

• Somewhere over the rainbow

A&E

Tea is So Much Healthier Without Milk and Honey and So is Literature

• Somewhere over the rainbow

News

Agility – fun on four paws

• KSS Kickstarters

Lilly Ogilvie: Not Just the Average KSS Student

• Somewhere over the rainbow

News

Deadliest Mass Shooting in U.S. History

• Somewhere over the rainbow

Somewhere over the rainbow