“broken.” : Manchester Bombing

Julia Chambers, News writer

The worst attack in Britain since 52 innocent people were killed in the 7/7 bombings in London in 2005. On Monday night, Manchester Arena was attacked by suicide bomber, Salman Abedi, during an Ariana Grande concert. Twenty-two people were killed and fifty-nine were injured in the bombing. It was mainly younger people who had come to see Grande during her European and Latin America Tour.

According to eyewitnesses, the incident took place shortly after Grande had left the stage. Among the eyewitnesses was Coral Long, a mother who attended the concert with her 10-year-old, Robin, told CNN that they were about to leave the venue when they heard a loud bang that seemed to have emerged from the left side of the arena. Chaos broke out following the explosion. Long exclaimed her daughter was devastated, saying “for her to be 10 years old and witness something like that is just horrific.”

The devastation persisted for Manchester resident, Charlotte Campbell, whose 15-year-old daughter, Olivia, attended the concert with a friend. They had not been in contact since the explosion. She told CNN “We’ve tried everything we can. They’re telling us to wait by the phones. Her dad is out looking. It’s the most horrible feeling ever, to know your daughter is there and you don’t know whether she’s dead or alive… I want her home and I want her safe… I just want her to walk through the door.” Through tears, Campbell expressed she didn’t understand how anyone could do such a thing to “innocent children”.

It was recently confirmed that her daughter was among the twenty-two people who were killed in the attack. “RIP my darling precious gorgeous girl Olivia Campbell taken far far too soon, go sing with the angels and keep smiling mummy loves you so much” Campbell posted.

Manchester Royal Infirmary Hospital was blocked off to all but essential staff due to the major incident. Medics recently said twenty people are suffering from “horrific injuries” and remain in “critical care”. Many are suffering from organ damage and even facing potential loss of limbs.

Police are looking further into the case of suicide bomber, Salman Abedi, who is believed to have died in the blast outside the arena. “It was a devastating operation, it was, as you say, more sophisticated than some of the attacks that we seen before. And it seems likely, possible, that he wasn’t doing this on his own,” UK Home Secretary, Amber Rudd, told BBC. “Intelligence services and the police are pursuing their leads in order to make sure that they get all the information, and reduce therefore the risk, that they need to keep us all safe.”

The American singer was scheduled to perform in London, and later on in venues throughout Belgium, Poland, and Germany. These performances have been suspended. Grande has joined countless other celebrities and people in expressing her horror of the tragic event, tweeting “broken.… from the bottom of my heart, i am so sorry. i don’t have words.”

Andy Burnham, The metro mayor of Greater Manchester, said: “My heart goes out to families who have lost loved ones, my admiration to our brave emergency services. A terrible night for our great city.”