KSS Cancer Week Drive-Thru Breakfast

Matthew Abrey, News writer

Over 600 heads shaved, thousands of cups of coffee, and 15 years later, Kelowna Secondary School is still going strong for a great cause.

‘Cancer Week’ is one of the largest student-run events hosted by the local high school, and includes events such as head shaving, an all-school awareness assembly, and the famed Drive-Thru Breakfast. This year’s Drive-Thru Breakfast will be taking place on May 25th from 7am-9:30am in the RONA parking lot on Springfield road, and the KSS Leadership team is poised for another big year.

“The Drive-Thru Breakfast is such an incredible tradition” says Grade 12 student, Jake Farvolden.

“We’ve put a lot of effort into making this work, and we’re stoked to raise as much as we can for the BC Cancer Foundation.”

The students are led by Fane Triggs, who co-heads the KSS Leadership program with fellow teacher, Tony Sodaro.  “Triggs”, as he is affecitonately called, has been running the school’s Cancer Week festivities since 1999, and is still amazed by the popularity and success of the event.

“Our Drive-Thru Breakfast has grown every year since we started, and the kids get really into it,” says Triggs.

“And because the money is going towards such a great cause, everyone is so eager to help out and chip in where they can, and that always makes our jobs a little easier. And because the money stays in the city, it makes it all the more inviting for people to support.”

With over $360,000 raised, Kelowna Secondary School holds the title for the BC Cancer Foundation’s largest ever donor. All funds raised from the week’s festivities will be going directly to the BC Cancer Foundation’s Kelowna Branch. Foundation member, Cynthia Waldek-Peters is very pleased with the work the students have done.

“I’d like to thank KSS for all their incredible passion and commitment to raising funds to support the great work taking place at the BC Cancer Agency here in Kelowna and their dedication to supporting the BC Cancer Foundation.” she says.

Breakfast sandwiches, wraps, muffins, orange juice and coffee are all on the menu Thursday morning.

The KSS Cancer Week Drive-Thru Breakfast runs from 7am-9:30am on May 25th in the RONA parking lot on Springfield road.

If you can not attend the Drive-Thru Breakfast and would like to make a separate donation, you can drop off a cheque or cash at Kelowna Secondary School on weekdays 8-3:30, or contact the BC Cancer Foundation directly at bccancerfoundation.com.