Can Performance Enhancing Drugs be Healthy?

Elana Wood, Healthy Living Writer

The use of performance enhancing drugs is becoming increasingly popular in athletics and in society today. The number of people using hormones and other substances to increase their performance in some way has skyrocketed. High performance athletes wish to improve times, strength, physical endurance, and more, so they turn to supplements that allow them to break the boundaries of athletics. Many people turn to performance enhancing drugs because they want to accomplish what they otherwise would not be able to achieve without the “extra help”, all the while hoping that they don’t get caught.

Many of these drugs used by athletes contain extremely harmful chemicals that will change and even have fatal effects on the human body. People using anabolic agents may not realize that they are infact permanently damaging their livers, and people who choose to use peptide hormones might be unaware that they are throwing the health of their cardiovascular systems out of the window. It is an enormous problem that so many people are uneducated and overall unaware of what they are putting into their bodies.

Despite the government’s attempt to ban the use of these substances from sports competitions by screening the blood of the athletes, the number of PED cases is rising steadily worldwide. Many people have come to the conclusion that PEDs should be allowed in competition if used safely, but, is there really a safe way to inject powerful chemical laced hormones with detrimental side effects into your body?

After my research on “healthier alternatives” to performance enhancing drugs I have come to research based conclusions and also my own opinions. I have not found anything similar to the powerful artificial drugs that athletes and even normal people that is healthy (does not contain fatal/life altering side effects). The first natural “enhancing drug” that I found was eating to supplement athletics; a balanced diet high in protein will enable people to reach the optimal blood chemistry to perform at an elite level. I think that people underestimate the power of a healthy diet, eating right ensures proper hormone balance and the correct energy levels to perform optimally. Another thing people can do to naturally enhance their performance is to supplement. Consuming a natural pre and post workout can immensely help increase strength and endurance. The good thing about these supplements is that they can be very natural and even healthy for your body. Pairing a very healthy diet constructed for performance and healthily supplementing can lead to great success. It is also very important to let go of stressors in your life, doing things like sleeping enough, drinking water, and meditating help put your mind in the right space to perform well athletically.

All in all, people have control of their own lives. If someone chooses to use PEDs to enhance their performance, that’s their own choice. I do believe that people should give natural enhancement options a try because with enough determination and dedication, the results can be very prominent.