On the Verge of Vulnerability?

Mental health. Torn pieces of paper with the words Mental health. Concept Image. Black and White. Closeup.

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Zainab Mohammad, Healthy Living Writer

Health and Wellness: How do you know if you’re not mentally healthy?

When it comes to the state of our minds, we all, at some point in our lives, have questioned ourselves and pondered over whether we’re normal compared to the rest of society, however the uncertainty of what “normal” is often acts as a hindrance to us receiving our answers. From what we hear there is no “normal” for a mind to be at, as we are all unique beings with unique minds, but with no “normal” to compare ourselves to, it leaves us wondering, are we really doing fine or should we be seeking for help?

Often we hear tragic stories of how people overwhelmed with life commit suicide to escape, and it tends to be followed by their closed ones mourning how they never noticed anything too unusual in the behaviour of these people. That’s because many people in distress keep their dispirited thoughts to themselves rather than seek help. This may be because the person in distress consistently deceives even themselves, denying they are mentally unhealthy until comes the point where they grow overwhelmed and take the potent step, self-mutilation, or worse, suicide.

To beware of whether or not you should be seeking assistance, imagine that there are various degrees of mental health on a spectrum, that alter your thoughts from: “yay, rocking life!”, to “..phew, just managing it all”, to “struggling to hold it together, extremely vulnerable!”. Most teens fall into “..phew, just managing it all”, due to the turmoil of teenhood, however if you notice yourself leaning towards the third chunk of the spectrum, it indicates that you’re possibly growing mentally ill, and should hunt out ways to cope.

Besides that strategy, if you suspect that you might be undergoing an unhealthy mental state but not certain, there are numerous signals you can be on the look-out for to confirm. Be conscious of a sudden shift in thoughts and behaviours, as well if you observe yourself isolating yourself by socially withdrawing yourself. Changes in eating and sleeping patterns and urges to use substances are significant signs too. So are feelings of extreme anxiety, sadness, anger, and irritability. Without a doubt there are a ton of other signs that suggest you’re not feeling quite right mentally, however these were some crucial ones that should be reacted upon if repeatedly noticed.

Despite there being various obvious indicators of when you’re beginning to undergo negative phases, such as detecting unnecessary anxiety, social withdrawal, and other signs discussed above, there is no clear chart that can be used during times of uncertainty to determine if one has yet crossed the line of normal and ventured into the state of an unhealthy mindset. Common sense should be used to observe if you’re feeling out of the ordinary, and if these feelings appear potentially life-threatening, assistance should immediately be seeked, otherwise your actions based off your vulnerable feelings can prove to be detrimental not just to yourself, but possibly even to the individuals around you.