A Great Figure of Our Generation

Emma Luciw, What's trending writer

There have 45 First Ladies of the United States, and only one of them was African American. Michelle Obama is an outstanding example of a role model for this generation. She was the 44th First Lady of the United States, and is married to Barack Obama. I believe Michelle has made a large impact on young girls over the past eight years. She is an amazing woman, incredibly strong, and outstandingly beautiful. Michelle attended Harvard Law School from 1985 to 1988, and she also attended Princeton University in 1985. She and her older brother of 21 months are both astonishingly intelligent, and they both skipped grade two.

Michelle Obama encourages healthy lifestyles for children. She also helps children, especially young girls, gain confidence. During her time as a First Lady, her main focuses were education, healthy living, and poverty. Michelle has made multiple inspiring speeches while alongside Barack Obama. She has unfailingly supported her husband during his campaigns and time as President. Barack was a large believer in the American Dream, and Michelle helped get that message across. Some of the former Presidents beliefs were also about helping struggling families and really making a great difference in people’s lives.

Michelle also supports military families, encourages national service, and helps women balance careers and family. During her and her husbands first year of presidency, they volunteered at soup kitchens. Michelle visited schools to encourage education and volunteer work. Michelle also supported the organic-food movement. Michelle is a strong believer in fighting obesity, and strongly encourages healthy eating. She even created a new fitness program for kids in 2012. Michelle and 23 grade five students planted 1,100 square-foot garden. She also wrote a book about the healthy lifestyle she enforces in the White House. She focused on creating a normal lifestyle for her two daughters, Malia and Sasha Obama. Their parents made a set time for studying, for waking up, and for going to bed. Michelle really encourages the younger generation to be focused, determined, hopeful and empowered, and tells the younger generation not to be afraid.

Michelle has an impeccable taste in fashion. She is a great fashion figure because she dresses respectively and professionally, while wearing high end brands. At Barack Obama’s 2013 Inauguration, Michelle, Sasha and Malia, wore Thom Browne, J. Crew, Kate Spade, and Jason Wu. Michelle Obama has appeared on multiple magazines. In the magazine Essence, she was on the list: “25 of the World’s Most Inspiring Women. In 02138, she was named #58 in “The Harvard 100”, which is a list that showcases the school’s the most influential alumni. She appeared on the cover of Vogue two times. She also appeared in Vanity Fair on the best dressed list two years in a row, and on the People’s best dressed list.

Some of Michelle’s programs that she has launched are simply outstanding. In 2011, Michelle Obama and Dr. Jill Biden launched a project called Joining Forces. The project is to support veterans and service members after their return, and help them get jobs, help them with education, and help with wellness. The project also helped support their families while they’re family member is out fighting for America. Michelle launched a program to help students continue their education after high school, called Reach Higher Initiative. Whether that is going to community college, university, or a professional training program, Michelle will show support so they can plan on their future. Both former President Obama and former First Lady Michelle Obama launched a program together called Let Girls Learn to make sure girls stay in school. Michelle and Barack Obama also encourage other countries to do the same.

The former First Lady is very involved in social media. She has a twitter account, a Facebook page, and an Instagram account. Michelle and Caroline Adler, her communications director, discuss about how to alert the younger generation about her social initiatives. Michelle is aware that a lot of young adults don’t read the newspaper, watch the news, and keep up with news, and they’re all just on their phones. So, Michelle and Caroline decided to use a creative way to get her messages across. Michelle got a lot of advice from her two daughters, Malia and Sasha, and she was able to reach the younger audience. Michelle is also really involved in beauty and fashion, so she is able to reach her messages and projects all over social media and in magazines. Michelle Obama left the White House, still a very influential and great figure. I believe, even though she will no longer be the First Lady of the United States, she will still try her hardest to make an amazing change in America.