Get Involved at KSS!

Gillian Smith, News, Science and the Environment

Back to school is upon us again, and with it comes the stress of finding new classes and getting back into the daily routine. It can be easy to focus just on the academics and athletics of KSS, but this school has much more to offer for students. Joining a club is a fantastic way to give back to the school that tries so much to help us. Beyond that, clubs can help you find a new passion, or meet a new best friend.

Interact Club

This club has been a staple in KSS student life. If you enjoy regular patcho days, or the yearly AP Banquet, you have Interact to thank! As a high school affiliate of Rotary International, Interact fundraises throughout the year for a charity we chose every September. Last year the club helped to provide cancer treatments not covered by standard health care coverage to ## Okanagan residents. The group meets every Friday in room 141.

Green Team

Recently restarted by Ms. Margetts, the Green Team is a group of ecoconscious students hoping to make KSS into a more environmentally friendly community. The club runs regular clean ups on Raymer Road, and is looking for anyone with new ideas on how KSS can be improved. Meetings are every Tuesday in room 145.

Global Awareness

Another KSS club that’s been around for years, Global Awareness (formerly known as Me to We) meets Mondays at lunch in room 237. The group volunteers regularly in the community, and raises money for different global and local causes. Global Awareness is also responsible for the fantastic KSS coffeehouses the past two years!

Diversity Club

Created last year, Diversity is focused on making KSS into a more inclusive environment. The group aims to promote the wellbeing of racial, religious, sexual, and gender minority students. Diversity is also focused on educating students and staff on social justice issues. Meetings are every Thursday at lunch in room 197 for any student who needs a safe space, or wishes to help create an equal school environment.

Mental Wellness

Another new club as of last year, Mental Wellness is a group focused on raising awareness of mental illness and its impacts on day to day student life. Last year, the group ran “Cookies and Cram” sessions to destress before provincial exams, and pledged to end the stigma about mental health. Talk to Mrs. Zaseybita for more information.

Wordsmiths

Perfect for anyone interested in spoken word poetry, this group meets Fridays at lunch in room 233. They run open mic meetings throughout the year, and host a perfect place for new poets to try out the art judgementfree.

The school is always looking for new student initiatives! If you have an idea for a club that could improve KSS, just book a meeting with Mr. White in the office to discuss how to make it a reality.