Soaring Post-secondary Tuition Boxing Out Students

Like many of my Grade 12 peers, the thought of going to university is constantly on my mind. I constantly think about the cost and if it is even a possibility for me to get the proper certification for the area of work I want in the future.

The rising cost of going to university is a worry for both students and their parents, with a standard four-year degree at a university setting an individual back an average of $80,000, with $31,000 of that going to room and board. Now, I know this depends on where you go with some universities costing less than others, as well as what you major in, but it’s still a huge number for those of us scrambling to come up with the cash, before turning to student loans.

More often than not, by the time the average student leaves post secondary education she is left with a debt of $37,000. Those are huge numbers for people that are just starting out in life, and it takes a long time to pay that off, even if you get a job right away after you graduate.

With many companies wanting more experience rather than giving the experience, many graduates find themselves stuck in minimum wage jobs, and unable to use their degrees. In the United States alone outstanding student debt has hit $1 trillion dollars. We are slowly being boxed out of the education we so desperately need to make it in the world due to the cost.

We dream of the jobs we will never have because we never know if we will ever get to university. Our parents are also suffering from the rise in tuition costs, with many postponing retirement and taking on additional debt to help send us off to universities. Without post secondary education,it can be difficult to go very far or get very good jobs, but for some parents it becomes harder and harder to give our kids those opportunities.

Without a solution to this issue, many students will be left out of a globally advancing society.  It’s time the Canadian government took a long, hard look at the British and German models, where post-secondary education is subsidized.  The long-term results would be a win-win for students and the Canadian economy alike.