Anxiety and Leaving the Comfort Zone

Reigan Allison

Anxiety isn’t just being a bit nervous about presenting in front of your class. Anxiety is the fear of getting out of your seat to throw away your apple core because people might look at you. It’s being too scared to eat when you are around your friends because people might look at you. Anxiety can hold you back from being yourself. Anxiety is something that isn’t just going to fade away as you grow older. If you want it to go away, you need to get help and challenge yourself to get better.

Trying to figure out where to start can be the hardest part to beating anxiety. The first thing you need to do is educate yourself. You can’t get help if you are not sure what you are dealing with. Knowing the facts and symptoms of anxiety can take away some of the fear you have towards it. Getting over your anxiety isn’t always something you can do on your own so make sure you talk to the people who are supporting you. This could be your family or your best friend. Talk to them and tell them that you are going to get help so that they can be there to support you through every step.

Although your family and friends will be there to support you they won’t always be sure about how they can help you, so the next thing you need to do is see a professional. You could start with just your school counsellor or find one in your community. It is important to find someone who you can trust and feel comfortable around before you start seeing them long term. Your counsellor will give you tips on how to overcome your anxiety, but you need to be the one to follow through. Listen to your counsellor and do the things they ask you to do. Medication is something you can look at to control your anxiety, but it doesn’t work for everybody. If you are going to take medications you need to remember it’s not a cure. Medication should be used to stabilize your anxiety until you come up with coping methods. Don’t think of medication as a long term solution.

Sometimes people don’t want to speak out about their anxiety because they think that something is “wrong” with them. What they don’t realize is anxiety is actually very common. Most people experience anxiety, but everybody experiences it in different ways. Anxiety in most cases is actually there to protect you. For example if you are hanging out with friends and they want to do something that could possibly put you in danger, you might feel anxious. Anxiety only becomes a problem when your body is reacting while you are in no danger. Everybody experiences different symptoms when they are getting anxiety. Majority of people are going to feel a rapid heartbeat and will begin breathing heavy. You will also probably start to sweat a lot. Some people feel nausea, or chest pain. You might feel dizziness because the blood and oxygen go to major muscle groups when we are in danger. This will cause hyperventilation which will cause you to feel light headed or dizzy.

Anxiety is a subject that is very personal to me, as I have suffered with it throughout my whole life. My Kindergarten teacher wasn’t sure I even talked because I hid in the corner all day and never said a word. I have been through many medications, and counsellors but nothing changed until I decided I wanted to change.

There was a day when I decided that wasn’t the life I wanted to live. I pushed myself to get out there and do the things that terrified me. Once I got out there and started challenging myself I realized the world isn’t as scary as I thought it was. Facing my anxiety wasn’t an overnight task, and it’s still a struggle every day. I had to start with baby steps and slowly work my way up. I started with things as little as forcing myself to put my hand up and answer questions in class.

I now have done things as big as singing in front of my whole school and participating in a public speaking contest. It has been a long journey from where I began and I am still pushing myself every day to get a little bit more out of my comfort zone.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Anxiety and Leaving the Comfort Zone”

1. Trina on May 11th, 2017 5:46 pm

Way to go on speaking out, and for continually pushing yourself! It’s so exciting to see what we can accomplish when we force ourselves to do things that challenge us at our core!

[Reply]

2. Audrey on May 11th, 2017 6:14 pm

You amaze me!

[Reply]

*

• Anxiety and Leaving the Comfort Zone

Sea World’s Turning Tide

• Anxiety and Leaving the Comfort Zone

10 Innovative Technologies to Keep an Eye Out For

• Anxiety and Leaving the Comfort Zone

Moncton’s Eco360: A Growing Success

• Anxiety and Leaving the Comfort Zone

Quitting Paris: Trump’s Message to the World

• Anxiety and Leaving the Comfort Zone

Cut down on the Damage, Not the Trees!

• Anxiety and Leaving the Comfort Zone

First Nations Contributions to Technology

• Anxiety and Leaving the Comfort Zone

Sea World’s Turning Tide

• Anxiety and Leaving the Comfort Zone

• Anxiety and Leaving the Comfort Zone

News

Rise of the SmartBots

• Anxiety and Leaving the Comfort Zone

Moncton’s Eco360: A Growing Success

Anxiety and Leaving the Comfort Zone