Battling the Dragon: Anxiety is Okay

Emma Luciw

Anxiety is a normal feeling in everybody’s lives. One usually feels anxiety during a date or before a big rollercoaster or ride. Anxiety also helps motivates us to do better or helps us to avoid danger. Severe anxiety is actually really common as well, but it’s not talked about enough. Like OCD, everyone assumes they have a severe case of it and joke around, but do they really know what severe anxiety is?

Anxiety is when the brain sends messages down to several different parts of the body. Adrenaline is shot into the blood stream as soon as you feel anxious. These messages and adrenaline shoot messages down to the heart, lungs and, muscles. There are multiple physical symptoms such as an incredibly fast heart rate, sweating, dry mouth, shaking, headaches, and nausea.

Although there aren’t a lot of explanations or a good understanding as to why anxiety is caused, it is usually custom to the person’s mind and experiences. People prone to anxiety are easily set off by things that may have scarred them when they were younger. For example, if someone fell into the water when they were a young child and had a near death experience, large bodies of water may trigger that intense and scary memory. Or, if that person was not in the water but was pushed in by a friend, they may experience severe anxiety. Others may be annoyed and think they are overreacting, but it really is something to take seriously.

People with severe anxiety face difficult obstacles everyday. The smallest things may cause someone’s severe anxiety, and they will act upon it or they may need to leave. The people around them may not realize what’s happening, and they may make fun of that person. They may say they’re overreacting or they’re just looking for attention, when in reality, they may really need help or comfort.

Since anxiety can be embarrassing or a major problem for some people, they may keep it to themselves instead of getting help. Whether that’s medically, or talking to a professional about it. Even taking time out of you day to talk to a loved one, distract yourself with a hobby you love, or meditating and listening to music. Since anxiety is such a specific feeling to each person, so are treatments. Though if you were to go to a doctor, they may give you prescription drugs. Some of the medication prescribed should be researched greatly, because some side effects may make the severe anxiety worse.

Anxiety, even severe anxiety, is really common. Especially in young adults and teenagers who feel as though they are alone, and they refuse to seek help. Getting help is really important, no matter how long it takes to get it. There are people out there who would love to help you and make you feel comfortable around the things you may not have felt comfortable around before. Surrounding yourself with people close to you and who will support you through these hard times is a great help, and will make your life so much happier and easier.