Mything the Mark on Cannabis

Theo Mohamed, Healthy Living writer

Throughout the 20th and 21st centuries, man has had an interesting and complicated relationship with marijuana. Until the 1930’s cannabis – more commonly referred to now as pot or weed – was used in many industries. The fibers of hemp plants were easily processed into many different materials such as textiles as well as paper. Although the flower abundant plants that produce the common drug are different from hemp, cannabis prohibition has made it more difficult to grow it. Not only was hemp used as a material in industry before its illegalisation, but the human race had also shared a 5000 year history with the plant’s medicinal and therapeutic properties.

Marijuana was common in most cultures throughout history with the THC concentrate known as hashish or hash having its origins in the medieval  middle east and documented evidence of scientists such as Isaac Newton experimenting with the mind altering substance. Since its demonization in the 1930’s-1980’s, many of the so called dangerous aspects of marijuana have been debunked. Even with many of the alleged dangers of marijuana not really being rooted in fact, it is foolish to think that it is a safe substance as marijuana smoke, for example, has a far higher tar content than that of tobacco.

With the “hippie” craze of the 60’s, marijuana experienced a cultural renaissance and became far more common in popular culture. Bands such as The Beatles openly endorsed the drug and the young and restless used the drug liberally. With Reagan taking office, he vowed to take control of the growing drug problems in America through hard enforcement to get the money out of the hands of dangerous criminals. It’s odd that a man who was known for having a drinking problem would demonize such a useful plant as alcohol comes with far more dangers than marijuana. In our current society, the main reason marijuana is a danger to those who use it recreationally is because they are purchasing it from unregulated vendors.

Medical marijuana has become more commonplace in society as more and more studies begin to be conducted on the effects of the substance. Not only has the plant been somewhat demystified but there are constantly new ways of consumption being pioneered. There are an increasing number of companies that have been experimenting with infusions of both food and drink with the psychoactive compounds. Not only are there consumption methods either by eating or drinking but in recent years there is another form of inhalant consumption that is far less harmful that has emerged.

Through convection and radiation vaporizers, the useful parts of the plant are able to be vaporized without combusting the plant material. It means that the user is not inhaling the harmful smoke but rather just a “medicated” vapor. With more information becoming available, more realistic and detailed legalization plans are coming into fruition. As experts and lawmakers work closely with each other, we can look towards a future with safe, regulated marijuana that has been approved for its designated use, be that recreational or medical.